Vascular Endothelial Cell Growth Inhibitor (VEGI)
Categories: “Cancer Therapeutics“
OTC Contact: Thomas A. Houze, MSc., Ph.D. (Directory Information | Send a Message); Tracy Bruehs, M.S., J.D. (Directory Information)
Inhibition of angiogenesis in a tumor is an important approach for the treatment of cancer such as breast and other solid tumors. In addition to solid tumors, other important angiogenesis-driven diseases include diabetic retinopathy, Kaposi’s sarcoma, psoriasis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Patients who suffer from these diseases may benefit from an anti-angiogenic therapeutic approach. Vascular Cell Growth Inhibitors (VEGI) may provide a novel autocrine negative regulator of angiogenesis in endothelial cells as a treatment for angiogenic associated diseases. Therefore, this technology may be a cancer therapeutic by acting as novel inhibitors of endothelial cell proliferation in general and inhibitors of angiogenesis in particular, and a method to use VEGI claimed therein their methods of use including an anti-VEGI antibody that selectively binds to any of the VEGI-192a and/or VEGI-192b polypeptides described in the patents.
The invention relates to compositions that are useful in the treatment of conditions in which it is advantageous that angiogenesis is inhibited, for example, in the treatment of:
- solid tumors
- diabetic retinopathy
- Kaposi’s sarcoma
- rheumatoid arthritis
In particular, the invention relates to novel isoforms of vascular endothelial growth inhibitors (VEGIs), and their DNA associated with protein sequences, compositions, and variants thereof, and their use in the treatment of angiogenesis-driven diseases.
As well as an anti-VEGI antibody that selectively binds to any of the VEGI-192a and/or VEGI-192b polypeptides described in the patents, and thus enhance angiogenesis, in the treatment of:
- ischemic conditions or heart attack.
The innovation provides:
- a novel ‘natural’ method for the treatment or amelioration of disease and processes that are mediated by uncontrolled angiogenesis
- a method for treating cancer or suppressing tumor growth by administering isoforms of VEGI
- a means to inhibit the proliferation of endothelial cells, e.g., aortic endothelial cells and can be used to treat diseases and disorders in which inhibition of endothelial cell growth is advantageous
- a means by which the strong anti-proliferation effects of VEGI on endothelial cell growth, can be employed to regulate the development of endothelial cells from hematopietic and circulating endothelial precursor cells
- an antibody that blocks or suppress the activity the VEGI polypeptide may be used for promoting or enhancing angiogenesis
- methods of enhancing angiogenesis by administering an inhibitor of VEGI-192a or VEGI-192b, such that angiogenesis is enhanced. Where such enhancement may be desirable, for example, in the context of conditions associate with an obstruction of a blood vessel, such as ischemic conditions or heart attack.
STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
The isoforms have been isolated, expressed, linked to fusion proteins all of which are described in the two publish patents for this technology. Subsequent developments can be shared upon request.
Two U.S. patents have been issued for both novel isoforms U.S. Patents: 7498407 and 7750133 (CON’T) entitled ‘Vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor, VEGI-192a‘; Mar. 3, 2009 and Jul. 6, 2010, respectively.
As well as the following countries:
|Austria||AT466020T||NEUE ISOFORM DES GEFÃ„SSENDOTHELZELL WACHSTUMSHEMMERS (VEGI)|
|Australia||AU2002359446B2||Novel isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
|Canada||CA2465953A1||Novel isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
|China||CN1668630A||Novel isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
|China||CN100398551C||Novel isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
|European Patent Ofc.||EP1487854A4||Novel isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
|Russian Federation||RU2004117536A||New isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
|WIPO||WO03039491A3||Novel isoforms of vascular endothelial cell growth inhibitor|
Luyuan Li and Hongguang Pan