Categories: "Physics, Optics and Electronic Devices"
Reference #: 2017-043
This technology covers methods and apparatus through which humans can learn to communicate through haptics. By converting auditory signals into haptic signals, humans can recognize speech through vibrotactile sensations, delivered via a wearable device. pertains to a vibrotactile speech aid that allows the hearing impaired to improve their speech perception capabilities. Further, this technology can aid hearing in noisy conditions such the cockpit of an airplane or in a construction site in individuals without hearing
impairment . It does this by presenting the speech amplitude envelope via vibration. This technology filters the auditory signal input and after the speech envelope is presented, users achieve near perfect speech perception.
- Teach individuals to understand speech through touch, in the absence of an acoustic speech signal.
- Can aid in noisy spaces
- Individuals with hearing loss
- Multisensory stimulation delivered in Virtual Reality
- Wearable/mobile vibrotactile device to enhance speech intelligibility
- Real-time auditory-to-vibrotactile conversion
Stage of Development
Prototype complete and pilot data obtained.